bonsai and persistentvolumeclaims
# šŸŒ±ļ½œhelp-and-getting-started
m
Wondering if anyone has had success using bonsai with persistentvolumeclaim module configs in their project. It looks like every one of ours is resulting in the error ā€œCould not find Build action ā€ The goal here is to gradually migrate so ideally I wonā€™t need to convert all volume claim modules into actions in order to get past this error.
b
By any chance are you using this action and reusing it with the Deploy action? https://docs.garden.io/kubernetes-plugins/action-types/persistentvolumeclaim
m
Technically I am not using any actions (directly). Iā€™m trying to run all the existing modules Iā€™ve got as a first step. So Iā€™ve got a persistentvolumeclaim type of module and then Iā€™ve got container modules that list the volume claim under their volumes key.
b
Oh. I get it, you are just trying to deploy with the new Binary (keeping your old syntax with 0.12)
m
Well, Iā€™ve made the breaking changes listed to move to version 1 of the syntax, but I havenā€™t converted any of my modules to actions yet.
(My project specifies apiVersion: garden.io/v1)
b
So; right now what is failing is trying to use a
pvc
that was created previously with 0.12 and I guess you are trying to reference it in a container
Deploy
action?
oh no. Any of your modules are actions yet.
So; everything is the same from 0.12 but you changed all the deprecations/breaking changes; and trying to deploy with Bonsai fails with
ā€œCould not find Build action <volume-claim-name>ā€
?
How much of a hard lift would it be to share some example snippets with us to facilitate the debugging process?
m
Definitely a tad more work than posting here in Discord but I wondered if this would be a new one for yā€™all. Iā€™ll try to reproduce this minimally and share the project config.
Iā€™m trying a couple more things first to see if this is related to me already having a 0.12 deploy up.
That gave me some interesting information. I deleted my namespace in k8s and then did a
garden deploy --force-refresh
and although I got some of the same pvc errors I got about 1/10th as many as before.
Oh, right, because it wasnā€™t able to resolve later modules with dependencies that hadnā€™t deployed yet so it only errored out for the first wave of modules (those with no dependencies).
b
Thanks a lot! Iā€™ll try to deploy this on my end and share with the team, maybe @calm-family-29323 you could take a look into this one once you start your day?
c
yeah this looks just like a bug in our module->action conversion logic, I'll be on it once I start my working day
m
Thank you both!
Not that Iā€™d expect a rapid fix, but should I keep an eye out here for updates in this or would you rather I create a GitHub issue that I can keep an eye on?
b
Hey, sorry for taking so long on this one; please feel free to create a Github Issue so we can prioritize it as this indeed looks like a bug! Cc @swift-garage-61180 looks like the conversion logic
c
Sorry this took so long but the fix is in review via https://github.com/garden-io/garden/pull/4523 and will be soon available on the edge branch
m
No worries. I appreciate the follow-up in this thread to let me know about the fix PR. Thanks!
Iā€™ll mark this resolved unless yā€™all want to wait for a release. Iā€™ve confirmed the fix against my project!
b
Thanks a lot @mammoth-kilobyte-41764 & @calm-family-29323 this is good to be resolved! šŸ™‚