what are the differences between a "container run"...
# 🤖|ask-kapa
g
@microscopic-river-74022 what are the differences between a "container run" and a "kubernetes-pod run"?
m
Please stand by @gentle-umbrella-55872 as I search the knowledge base. I normally take about 20 seconds or so. :wave:
---------------------- The "container run" and "kubernetes-pod run" are two different action types in Garden that are used to execute commands in different environments. The "container run" action is a simplified abstraction that allows you to run a command in a container image, such as in a Kubernetes namespace. However, it has limited features compared to more platform-specific types. For instance, you cannot specify replicas for redundancy, and various platform-specific options are not included. Here is an example of how to use it:
Copy code
yaml
kind: Run
name: seed-db
type: container
dependencies: [build.api]
spec:
 image: ${actions.build.api.outputs.deployment-image-id} # <--- The output from the Build action
 command: [npm, run, seed-db]
Source () On the other hand, the "kubernetes-pod run" action executes a Run in an ad-hoc instance of a Kubernetes Pod and waits for it to complete. The pod spec can be provided directly via the
podSpec
field, or the
resource
field can be used to find the pod spec in the Kubernetes manifests provided via the
files
and/or
manifests
fields. Here is an example of how to use it:
Copy code
yaml
kind: Test
name: vote-integ-pod
type: kubernetes-pod
dependencies:
 - deploy.api
variables:
 hostname: vote.${var.baseHostname}
timeout: 60
spec:
 resource:
 kind: Deployment
 name: vote-integ-pod
 command: [/bin/sh, -c, "npm run test:integ"]
 values:
Source ()
In summary, the "container run" action is a simpler and more limited option for running commands in a container, while the "kubernetes-pod run" action provides more flexibility and is more suitable for complex tasks that require the full features of Kubernetes. ---------------------- Note: you can ask me a follow up question by @ mentioning me again :speech_balloon: ----------------------
g
@User show me an example of kubernetes pod run with the manifests
@microscopic-river-74022 show me an example of kubernetes pod run with the manifests
m
Let me check the knowledge base for you. One moment! :books:
---------------------- Sure, here's an example of a
kubernetes-pod
run action with the
manifests
field. Please note that the actual Kubernetes resource manifests are not provided in the knowledge sources, so I'll use placeholders for them:
Copy code
yaml
kind: Run
name: my-run-action
type: kubernetes-pod
spec:
  manifests:
    - apiVersion: <api-version> # replace with your API version
      kind: <kind> # replace with your resource kind
      metadata:
        name: <name> # replace with your resource name
      spec: <spec> # replace with your resource spec
  command: ["/bin/sh", "-c", "your-command"]
In this example,
manifests
is an array of Kubernetes resource manifests. Each manifest is an object that describes a Kubernetes resource. The
apiVersion
kind
metadata.name
, and
spec
fields are required for each manifest. The
command
field specifies the command to run in the pod. Please replace
<api-version>
<kind>
<name>
, and
<spec>
with your actual Kubernetes resource details. For more information, please refer to the Garden documentation (). ---------------------- Note: you can ask me a follow up question by @ mentioning me again :speech_balloon: ----------------------
g
i want only run a deploy when i set an --var cronjobs=true how should the deployment should look like?
@microscopic-river-74022 i want only run a deploy when i set an --var cronjobs=true how should the deployment should look like?
m
---------------------- To conditionally run a deployment based on a variable, you can use the
enabled
field in your deployment configuration. The
enabled
field accepts a template string, which can include variables. Here's an example:
Copy code
yaml
kind: Deploy
name: my-deploy
enabled: ${var.cronjobs == "true"}
spec:
  # your deployment spec here
In this example, the deployment
my-deploy
will only be enabled if the
cronjobs
variable is set to
"true"
. You can set the
cronjobs
variable using the
--var
flag when running the
garden deploy
command:
Copy code
bash
garden deploy --var cronjobs=true
Please note that the
enabled
field is not specifically documented in the provided knowledge sources. However, it's a common pattern in Garden and other similar tools to use variables for conditional logic. For more information on using variables in Garden, please refer to the Garden documentation (). ---------------------- Note: you can ask me a follow up question by @ mentioning me again :speech_balloon: ----------------------
g
@microscopic-river-74022 i want only run a deploy when i set an --var cronjobs=true how should the deployment should look like? enabled does not exist, only disabled is allowed as property
m
---------------------- I apologize for the confusion. You're correct, the
disabled
field is used in Garden to conditionally disable a deployment. Here's how you can use it:
Copy code
yaml
kind: Module
name: my-module
services:
  - name: my-service
    disabled: ${{var.cronjobs != "true"}}
    # rest of your service configuration
In this example, the service
my-service
will only be deployed if the
cronjobs
variable is set to
"true"
. You can set the
cronjobs
variable using the
--var
flag when running the
garden deploy
command:
Copy code
bash
If
cronjobs
is not set to
"true"
, the service will be disabled and not deployed. For more information on using variables in Garden, please refer to the Garden documentation (). ---------------------- Note: you can ask me a follow up question by @ mentioning me again :speech_balloon: ----------------------
g
@microscopic-river-74022 i want only run a deploy when i set an --var cronjobs=true how should the deployment should look like? enabled does not exist, only disabled is allowed as property when i use disabled: ${{var.cronjobs != "true"}} i get an error that cronjobs is not defined. in the case i do not define the var cronjobs it should set disabled: true
m
---------------------- I apologize for the confusion earlier. You're correct, if a variable is not defined, Garden will throw an error. To avoid this, you can use the
defined
function in your template string to check if the variable is defined. If it's not defined, you can default to
true
(i.e., the deployment is disabled). Here's how you can do it:
Copy code
yaml
services:
    disabled: ${{defined(var.cronjobs, true) != true}}
In this example, the
defined
function checks if
var.cronjobs
is defined. If it's not, it defaults to
true
. The
!= true
part ensures that the service is disabled if
var.cronjobs
is not
"true"
. You can set the
cronjobs
variable using the
--var
flag when running the
garden deploy
command:
Copy code
bash
If
cronjobs
is not set or not
"true"
, the service will be disabled and not deployed. For more information on using variables in Garden, please refer to the Garden documentation (). ---------------------- Note: you can ask me a follow up question by @ mentioning me again :speech_balloon: ----------------------
g
@microscopic-river-74022 does garden.io have a variable which defines that the current job is a cleanup job?
m
---------------------- Based on the provided knowledge sources, there is no specific variable in Garden that directly indicates whether the current job is a cleanup job. However, Garden does provide a way to specify a cleanup command for a service. This is done using the
services[].cleanupCommand[]
configuration key. Here's an example:
Copy code
yaml
type: exec
services:
    cleanupCommand: ["your-cleanup-command"]
In this example,
your-cleanup-command
is the command that will be run to clean up the service, e.g. when running
garden delete env
. For more information, please refer to the Garden documentation (). ---------------------- Note: you can ask me a follow up question by @ mentioning me again :speech_balloon: ----------------------