Can you show me an example of a kubernetes-type de...
# 🤖|ask-kapa
b
@microscopic-river-74022 Can you show me an example of a kubernetes-type deploy action that deploys a kubernetes deployment which specifies a pod with a container using the image produced by a garden container-type build action?
m
Please stand by @blue-kite-93685 as I search the knowledge base. I normally take about 20 seconds or so. :wave:
---------------------- Sure, here's an example of a
kubernetes
-type Deploy action that deploys a Kubernetes Deployment which specifies a pod with a container using the image produced by a Garden
container
-type Build action:
Copy code
yaml
kind: Build
type: container
name: api
---
kind: Deploy
type: kubernetes
name: api
dependencies: [build.api]
spec:
  files: [my-manifests.yml]
  manifests:
    - apiVersion: apps/v1
      kind: Deployment
      spec:
        template:
          spec:
            containers:
              - name: api
                image: ${actions.build.api.outputs.deployment-image-id} # <--- The output from the Build action above
In this example, the
container
-type Build action is used to build the source code. The
kubernetes
-type Deploy action then deploys the built image to a Kubernetes Deployment. The image used for the container in the Deployment is specified using Garden template strings (
${actions.build.api.outputs.deployment-image-id}
), which Garden will resolve to the correct image before applying the manifest. You can find more details about this in the Garden documentation (). ---------------------- Note: you can ask me a follow up question by @ mentioning me again :speech_balloon: ----------------------
message has been deleted
b
@microscopic-river-74022 What determines the value of deployment-image-id ?
m
Let me check the knowledge base for you. One moment! :books:
---------------------- The value of
deployment-image-id
is determined by the Build action in Garden. Specifically, it is the full ID of the image (including tag/version) that the Build action will use during deployment. Here's an example of how it's used:
Copy code
yaml
my-variable: ${actions.build.my-build.outputs.deploymentImageId}
In this example,
my-variable
would be assigned the full ID of the image that the
my-build
Build action uses during deployment. This value is a string and is used for backward compatibility as an alias for
deploymentImageId
. You can find more details about this in the Garden documentation (). ---------------------- Note: you can ask me a follow up question by @ mentioning me again :speech_balloon: ----------------------
message has been deleted
b
@microscopic-river-74022 How do I specify the latest image tag using this approach?
m
Let me check the knowledge base for you. One moment! :books:
---------------------- In Garden, the image tag is automatically generated and it's based on the content of your source code and your configuration files. This means that each build may have a different tag, and the
latest
tag is not used by default. However, if you want to manually tag an image as
latest
, you can use the
garden publish
command with the
--tag
option. Here's an example:
Copy code
bash
garden publish my-container --tag="latest"
This command will publish the
my-container
image and tag it as
latest
. Note that this command is used to publish the image to a remote Docker registry. If you're using the
local-kubernetes
provider and want to tag the image as
latest
locally, you can use a
Run
action with a
docker image tag
command, like this:
Copy code
yaml
kind: Run
name: local-container-tag
type: exec
dependencies:
- build.my-container
spec:
command:
- docker
- tag
- ${actions.build.my-container.outputs.localImageId}
- ${actions.build.my-container.outputs.localImageName}:latest
This will tag the latest build of
my-container
as
latest
locally. Please note that using the
latest
tag can lead to confusion and is generally not recommended for production use, because it's not clear which version of the image
latest
actually refers to. It's usually better to use explicit version tags. You can find more details about this in the Garden documentation () and in the Discord support thread (). ---------------------- Note: you can ask me a follow up question by @ mentioning me again :speech_balloon: ----------------------
message has been deleted