how can I pass the following values to a helm char...
# 🤖|ask-kapa
s
@microscopic-river-74022 how can I pass the following values to a helm chart using garden: helm install vault oci://ghcr.io/bank-vaults/helm-charts/vault \ --set vault.config.storage.cockroachdb.connection_url=postgres://roach:fake-password@localhost:26257/database?sslmode=verify-full
m
Please stand by @swift-spring-8620 as I search the knowledge base. I normally take about 20 seconds or so. :wave:
---------------------- You can pass values to a Helm chart in Garden by using the
spec.values
field in your Garden configuration file. This field accepts a map of values that will be passed to Helm when rendering the templates. These values can include arrays and nested objects. If specified, these values take precedence over the values in the
values.yaml
file or the files specified in
valueFiles
. Here's an example of how you can set it up in your Garden configuration file:
Copy code
yaml
kind: Deploy
type: helm
name: vault
spec:
  chart:
    url: "oci://ghcr.io/bank-vaults/helm-charts/vault"
  values:
    vault:
      config:
        storage:
          cockroachdb:
            connection_url: "postgres://roach:fake-password@localhost:26257/database?sslmode=verify-full"
In this example, the
spec.values
field is used to pass the connection URL to the Helm chart. The
spec.chart.url
field is used to specify the URL to the OCI repository where the Helm chart is located. Please note that the
spec.values
field is an object and its default value is
{}
. It is not required to be specified in the configuration. For more information, you can refer to the Garden documentation on Deploy Action () and Helm Module (). ---------------------- Note: you can ask me a follow up question by @ mentioning me again :speech_balloon: ----------------------
message has been deleted
s
@microscopic-river-74022 how can i create a ConfigMap and deploy it in garden?
m
Let me check the knowledge base for you. One moment! :books:
---------------------- You can create and deploy a ConfigMap in Garden using the
configmap
action type. Here's an example of how you can set it up in your Garden configuration file:
Copy code
yaml
type: configmap
name: my-configmap
spec:
  data:
    config.properties: |
      some: data
      or: something
In this example, a ConfigMap named
my-configmap
is created with the data
some: data
and
or: something
under the key
config.properties
. You can then reference and mount this ConfigMap in a
container
deploy action like so:
Copy code
yaml
name: my-app
type: container
spec:
  volumes:
  - name: configuration
    containerPath: /config
    # The reference to the configmap Deploy
    action: deploy.my-configmap
This mounts all the keys in the
data
field on the
my-configmap
action under the
/config
directory in the container. In this case, you'll find the file
/config/config.properties
there, with the value above (
some: data ...
) as the file contents. For more information, you can refer to the Garden documentation on ConfigMap Deploy Action () and Mounting Kubernetes ConfigMaps (). ---------------------- Note: you can ask me a follow up question by @ mentioning me again :speech_balloon: ----------------------
message has been deleted
s
@microscopic-river-74022 do i need to reference and mount the ConfigMap in a container deploy action? What if I need the ConfigMap in a helm deploy action?
m
Let me check the knowledge base for you. One moment! :books:
---------------------- Yes, you can reference and mount the ConfigMap in a
helm
deploy action as well. ConfigMaps created using the
configmap
action type in Garden are deployed as standard Kubernetes ConfigMap resources. Therefore, they can be referenced in
helm
actions just like any other Kubernetes ConfigMap. In your Helm chart, you would reference the ConfigMap in the appropriate Kubernetes objects that need to use it. For example, if you want to mount the ConfigMap as a volume in a Pod, you would do so in the Pod's spec in your Helm chart. Here's an example of how you might reference a ConfigMap in a Pod spec in a Helm chart:
Copy code
yaml
apiVersion: v1
kind: Pod
metadata:
  name: my-pod
spec:
  containers:
  - name: my-container
    image: my-image
    volumeMounts:
    - name: config-volume
      mountPath: /config
  volumes:
  - name: config-volume
    configMap:
      # The name of the ConfigMap to mount.
      # This is the name you specified in your Garden config.
      name: my-configmap
In this example, the ConfigMap
my-configmap
is mounted as a volume in the Pod. The contents of the ConfigMap are available in the
/config
directory in the container. For more information, you can refer to the Garden documentation on ConfigMap Deploy Action () and Mounting Kubernetes ConfigMaps (). ---------------------- Note: you can ask me a follow up question by @ mentioning me again :speech_balloon: ----------------------
message has been deleted